Program of Civil Engineering
1. Name of program: Civil Engineering
2. Programme code: 7580201
3. Training degree: Engineering
4. Mode of study: Regular
5. Training time: 4 years
6. Programme objectives:
- Graduates will become the Civil Engineers with good basic knowledge about (1) economic-social science; (2) technical science; (3) basic and specific of Civil engineering both in theory and in implementation.
- Graduates are able to pursue advanced degrees or certifications in engineering, academia, research and display critical thinking, creativity, independent learning and desire for lifelong learning.
- Graduates enhance basic and specific knowledge of Civil Engineering in advanced to apply in design civil structures, propose construction methods and manage construction projects.
- Graduates have to work independently as well as together in groups in high pressure environment; to develop and to integrate in high quality job market.
- Graduates excel in careers in Civil Engineering fields with high level of professionalism, professional ethics, social responsibility and good health
7. Expected learning outcomes:
- Apply effectively social knowledge and general sciences for doing research and working in the field of Civil Engineering.
- Use English efficiently (equivalent to IELTS 6.0), use Microsoft Office proficiently (equivalent to MOS certificate with the score at least 700/1000).
- Be competent systematically knowledge about civil materials, civil geology, geodetic, structural mechanics and strength of materials.
- Be able to design of any kind of building structures.
- Evaluate geological conditions for designing foundation of Civil structures.
- Be able to consult, manage and deploy the Civil projects.
- Apply effectively computer programs for establishing civil drawing and analyzing structural system.
- Manage time and resources effectively and apply the requirements of law and career for monitoring and estimation of projects.
- Display integrity and social responsibility, follow strictly the safety rules and professional ethics, and communicate effectively, including teamwork communication.
- Demonstrate a passion to self-study and self-research to improve the specialized knowledge to be able to solve the urgent problems in job.
8. Teaching plan
9. Special features
- The programme duration is 4 years, divided into 8 semesters. In the first year, students take the courses on general knowledge as well as some fundamental courses of the major. This creates a chance for the students to get familiar with their major from the beginning to foster their passion for their selected career.
- Starting from the third semester, students focus on the specialized courses of the major, from fundamental knowledge to advanced knowledge. Approximately one third of these courses are practical and experimental ones. In addition, at the end of the 5th semester, students must enroll in the internship courses.
- Students must accumulate at least 117 credits and pass all project courses and English requirements to be eligible to take the Integrated Project.
- The freshmen who do not satisfy the minimum English requirements that means the IELTS 5.0 or equivalent will need to take English preparation courses during the first year, before being allowed to register any course in the curriculum. These students ought to register more courses in the summer semester and 2 supplementary semesters (organized in the evening, in parallel to the main semesters) to catch up with the regular schedule as soon as possible.
- Infrastructure and facilities: The teaching activities of the programme are organized at the main campus of TDTU, which is equipped with the modern facilities and equipment to support advanced teaching methodologies.
- The academic staff:
- All academic staff are Professors, Associate/Assistant Professors, and lecturers who have great reputation and teaching experience. Almost all lecturers got the PhD degree or pursuing PhD degree.
- For the courses and advanced topics that are highly practical, the Faculty plans to invite the experts from industrial companies, research institutes, non-govermental organization, etc. to give lectures and share the experience to the students.
- Curriculum: the curriculum is developed by the Faculty scientific and training committee (FSTC) and then approved by the President of TDTU. The curriculum can only be modified if there is a proposal from FSTC and again approved by the President of TDTU.
- The program is developed based on the reference to the Bachelor program in Civil Engineering offered by NangYang University (Singapore) with some modification to compatible with current condition of Vietnam higher education as well as the labor market demand in Vietnam.
- The percentage of specialization courses that are taught in English is 35/35 = 100%.
- Several courses in the programme can be taught by the foreign professors who are collaborating with the Faculty if the condition allows.
- The number of credits that are taught in the industrial companies: 7 credits (4 course).
- The programme is regularly reviewed and evaluated according to the “Procedure to evaluate the curricula offered by TDTU” , based on the feedbacks from the students, lecturers, alumni, and employers, experts in the field, and the accreditation organizations in the world.
10. Job opportunities
Students who graduate with the Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering can find their jobs in the following positions :
- Governmental organizations: including research centers; Institutes, Ministry of construction or Department of construction of local authorities.
- Private companies and corporations, foreign companies: there are a lot of private companies working on Civil engineering field. Their main purposes include Consulting, Site construction manager, Designing, and Maintaining infrastructures.
- Other opportunities: students who graduate from Civil Engineering field can work in the companies in related fields such as Civil materials, Building for construction, Maintaining buildings, Real estate business etc.